Wednesday 11 December 2013

The Busy-ness of Life.

Sometimes in our lives, we get carried away with life's challenges that for a moment or a while, we lose 'ourselves' in it. We stop doing the things that we once cherished, things that made us smile and turn to just existing. The worst of this case are people who have gotten so used to these 'abnormalities' that they now accept their way of living as 'normal' or 'that is how life is'..as some will put. There are even some others who have come to like the term 'I'm busy', so they can appear relevant to their peers like they're making impact. I have noticed that only a few have qualitative impact in their busyness. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying being busy is bad, I'm just saying, being busy about the wrong thing is a problem. Taking my life as a case study, I realized that I got soo busy at work that I hadn't done any constructive write up in months now. I just kept postponing till I completely didn't do anything about it. I almost started adjusting to some stereotype lifestyle, thank God I realized and I'm back on track. A wider example that cuts across many of us is the case of our childhood dreams. As a little girl, I remember I had so many beautiful dreams of how I wanted my life to look like, but as I grew older I started to become more 'realistic'...*laughs*. This is not to say we should all become dreamers chasing after shadows. Rather, its a call to awaken the ingenious locked away inside each of us. We shouldn't drop those childhood dreams saying they were immature, instead we should refine them to fit into present times. Life is to be lived to the fullest and not just passed through. This cannot happen if we are carried away with busyness in the wrong things and accepting an average lifestyle instead of utilizing our potential to make the world more appreciable.

Hearty Cheers!!!

2 comments:

  1. Makes a lot of sense, i certainly agree with you. Because of my responsibilities as a Business owner and Business Start up Consultant, i mentor a lot of people who have misplaced priorities and therefore shield there present responsibilities under the impression of being busy. From experience i have come to understand that those kind of people need to be enlightened on the term been busy compared to being productive. An analogy i use a lot is the dilemma of a high school kid. A high school kid comes from school, does homework for about 2 hrs and spends the rest of his time on facebook and social media. When asked he claims i'm busy networking. Is he being productive with his time or just being busy taking up his time.
    I have come to notice that only people who are productive with there time actually complete there respective tasks. People who always claim to be busy, struggle to finish up tasks. The important question therefore i propose to business starters and start ups i mentor is simply "how effective can an individual make use of his so claimed busy time" This helps them see the distinct difference of being productive and being busy

    Olayinka Fad
    CEO Stofad Enterprise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to apologise for not replying earlier to this because your response made the article more alive. Thanks for sharing out of your wealth of experience. On behalf of all the readers of this blog post ..I say thanks a lot for taking time out to comment.

      Delete